One major facet of cultural appropriation is taking artifacts that would be violent on the body of a person of color and making them trendy on a white body.
That’s why Forever 21 is able to sell a Black Panther crop top, and why Che Guevara t-shirts are so popular, and why Macklemore can win Grammy’s for writing songs about smelly sheets, and why white drugged out kids can walk around Coachella in tacky “native” headdresses.
When people of color cannot participate in aspects of their culture without persecution, but white people are welcome to those aspects, that’s a major undeniable example of white privilege.
meet the blogger
LAYER ONE: THE OUTSIDE
- name: Unsure.
- eye color: Brown
- hair style/color: Shortish, brown, pushed to the side.
- height: 6’4”
- clothing style: Blue jeans, monochrome shirt, monochrome jacket, every day. Four watches.
- best physical feature: Watches,
LAYER TWO: THE INSIDE
- your fears: Heights, everything else.
- your guilty pleasure: Uh…I don’t think I have one.
- ambitions for the future: Ugh.
LAYER THREE: THOUGHTS
- your first thoughts waking up: ”Gizmo!”
- what you think about most: Haha.
- what you think about before bed: The same thing as above.
- you think your best quality is: Gizmo.
LAYER FOUR: WHAT’S BETTER?
- single or group dates: N/A
- to be loved or respected: Feared. I am Machiavelli, The Prince.
- beauty or brains: Yes.
- dogs or cats: Cat, dogs.
LAYER FIVE: DO YOU
- lie: As rarely as I can.
- believe in yourself: Descartes makes me.
- believe in love: Yep.
- want someone: Duh.
LAYER SIX: EVER?
- been on stage: At school, yeah.
- done drugs: Weed, once.
- changed who you were to fit in: Definitely.
LAYER SEVEN: FAVORITES
- favorite color: Red and blue, but only in Magic. I don’t like the appearance of either.
- favorite animal: Red pandas.
- favorite movie: Six-way tie between The Princess Bride, the LotR trilogy, and Suck.
LAYER EIGHT: AGE
- day your next birthday will be: November 25th.
- how old will you be: 19
- does age matter: Yeah. But not for everything.
I don’t give a fuck if you disagree with personalized pronouns. Call people what makes them feel most comfortable without backhanded remarks like “special snowflake” or “lol wow I can’t believe I actually typed that.”
Being decent to people who are just trying to express themselves & feel comfortable with their own identities should not be this fucking difficult.